Wasaaradda Arimaha Gudaha Somaliland: Naadin Shaqo Bannaan. Position “Support Districts Develop Gender Friendly Working Environment, Plan”.
|I. General Information|
|Local governments are central pillars in ensuring peace and stability in Somaliland. However, women currently face many barriers to entering positions of influence within local governments and leveraging their positions to shape decisions and create impacts within their communities. Consequently, women, are severely underrepresented in local governments both in the local councils (legislative) and in local administrations (executive). Furthermore, local governments often do not recognize, nor do they adequately respond to the needs and priorities of women and girls.The findings from Gender Review supported by Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralised Service Delivery (JPLG, 2017) confirms that
AlthoughNational Gender Policy, Local Government Human Resource Management and Participatory Planning Regulations were adopted in Somaliland to allow the equitable participation and benefits from the work environment. However, few questions need to be answered: What does the idea of a gender favorable work environment mean to the local governments specifically to the mayors? To what extent is the workplace currently a gender friendly environment for example does it have the basic facilities? And what changes are required in the Local Government Offices work environment to make District Councils more equitable and favourable in terms of gender.
Previous assessments conducted on the local government offices of 8 JPLG target districts, looked at
In the assessment it was found that in some districts women working in the Local Government lack the ability and accessibility to meet senior management, and are not represented in meetings where important decisions are made, this may have contributed the high rates of turnover among women working on Local Government Offices; whereas in few districts such mechanism have been established which enabled women to put their concern to the executive committee, whereby the mayor meets every month or quarter of the year with women working in the local government offices. In few districts women are represented in the executive committee, in addition there are several women appointed as department directors, therefore in these districts the ability and accessibility to the senior management is not a problem.
|III. Objectives of the Assignment|
|There is also a feeling that there is a gap in the availability of legal instruments to guarantee women the right to an equitable, safe, and healthy working environment. There seems to be a lack or deficiencies in the provision or even the awareness about the problem’s women face in working for local governments, and these problems do not catch the attention of the mayors, deputy mayors and the executive secretaries. On this backdrop, the Ministry of Interior with the support of UNDP JPLG wants to recruit a consultant, to support districts administration and the Ministry of Interiordevelop plans for improving Local government offices and ameliorate the work environment so that it is a gender friendly workplace, whereby the districts will be able to retain women in local government offices.This consultancy position is therefore to support districts develop gender friendly working environment, plan for recruitment and retention of women working in local governments which targets mayor, the district councils and executive secretaries. Which is intended to attract the mayors to attune to the needs of women working in local governments. Therefore, the main purpose of the assignment is toproduce gender friendly work environment plan targeting SomalilandLocal Governments.
|IV. Functions / Key Results Expected|
|Summary of Key Functions:
Working under the direct supervision of the Director General Ministry of Interior and in close collaboration with UNDP- JPLG Local team in Hargeisa the consultant will:
1. Hold consultations with key stakeholders to produce gender friendly working environment plan for Local Governments
2. Hold discussion and meetings with women working in Local governments to document their views about what they think a gender responsive office model would look like.
3. Review any regulations, policies and previous work related to gender equality in employment and gender friendly work place
4. Assessing the needs of the Local Governments and other stakeholders and document how best to raise the awareness of the mayors and other key stakeholders in gender and local governments
5. Presenting gender friendly work environment plan for recruitment and retention of women working in LGs to mayors, Ministry of Interior, JPLG and other key stakeholders and validate the plans in front of the key stakeholders in the government
1. Completion of Inception Report detailing activities on the methodology to proceed with the completion of wholistic plan for gender working environment for districts.
2. Develop and produce gender friendly working environment plan for women in local governments, focusing on facilities available for women in local government offices.
3. Produce plan for recruitment and retention of women working in LGs, such the implementation fair recruitment process, and other benefits such as, maternity leave and breastfeeding application.
4. Develop a specific plan for women working in the Local government offices to enable them access senior management and represented in meetings where important decisions are made.
5. Document and disseminate a brief snapshot of evidence on how gender friendly work environment can work effectively in SomalilandLocal Governments.
6. Provide technical advice on the best way of establishing a network for women in local governments.
|VI. : Other information|
|Applications should be accompanied by a CV with at least 2 referees, a certified copy of academic results, in the form of University transcripts, Copies of BSc/BA degree, and other relevant certificates to Director General office, Ministry of Interior before or on 25/ 08/2019Email: firstname.lastname@example.org copy email@example.com
Womenare strongly encouraged to apply
Those who are shortlisted will be further communicated to inform date and venue of the interview and the written test.