The president of Somaliland H.E Musa Bihi Abdi has been in power for 182
days which translates to six months. The head of state appointed 32 members
cabinet which comprises of ministers and assistant ministers. He also named
directors general, parastatal chiefs and other top government organizations
These presidential appointees are mostly new to the political landscape of
the country and consists pof youthful cabinet members. This surprised many
people in the know since many did not think president Bihi was capable of
transfusing fresh blood into the clogged political environment of
Somaliland whereby the old guards have tightened the clang to power.
Simply the president was trying to experiment if new blood injected into
the ailing political climate could change Somaliland for the better.
This has put President Musa Bihi on the league of his own different in
every aspect from his predecessors one of whom relinquished power to him.
President Musa Bihi Abdi becomes the third president of Somaliland to come
to power through the ballot box. The Horn Newspaper is pleased to bring to
our dear readers the members of cabinet appointed by each president when he
first came to power.
President Dahir Rayale Kahin
President Dahir Rayale Kahin came to power in 2003, and then he
appointed members of his cabinet which we highlight herein………..
1. Mrs.Edna Adam Ismael – Minister of Foreign Affairs
2. Mr.Ahmed Haji Daahir Elmi –Minister of Planning
3. Mr.Ismael Adam Osman- Minister of Internal Security
4. Dr. Mohammed Said Gees- Minister of Fishery and Marine Resources
5. Mr.Awil Ali Dua’ale – Minister of Finance
6. Mr.Mohammed Hashi Elmi- Minister of Industry
7. Mr.Abdillahi Hussein Iman – Minister of Settlement
8. Mr.Abdillahi Mohammed Dua’le-Minister of Information
9. Mr.Saeed Sulub Mohammed- Minister of Public Works and Housing
10. Mr.Rashid Haji Abdillahi- Minister Commerce
President Ahmed Mohammed Mohammud (Silanyo)
President Silanyo came to power in 2010 after winning the presidency
following his routing of president Rayale in the ballot here are his
1. Dr.Mohammed Abdillahi Omar –Minister of Foreign Affairs
2. Dr.Mohammed Abdi Gaboose –Minister of Internal Affairs
3. Dr.Ahmed Hashi Oday – Minister of Livestock and Animal Husbandry
4. Mr.Mohammed Hashi Elmi –Minister of Finance
5. Mr.Hussein Ahmed Aideed –Minister of Public Works and Housing
6. Mr.Samsam Abdi Adam –Minister of Education
7. Mr.Hussein Muhummed Mohammed –Minister of Health
8. Mr.Abdillahi Jama Osman (Geeljire) Minister of Information
9. Mr.Mohammed Hashi Abdi- Minister of Civil Aviation
10. Prof.Ismael Mumin Aa’re-Minister of Justice
11. Sheikh Khalil Abdillahi Ahmed –Minister of Religious Endowment
12. Mr.Hussein Ali Dua’ale –Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources
President Musa Bihi Abdi
President Musa Bihi Abdi after winning the November 2017 elections he
appointed 32 ministers to his cabinet they are as follows…..
1. Dr.Sa’ad Ali Shire Naleeye – Minister of Foreign Affairs and
2. Mr.Yassin Haji Mohammud Hiir Faratoon- Minister of Education
3. Dr.Hassan Ismael Yusuf Warsame –Minister of Health Development
4. Mr.Awale Ismael Shirwa’a Looddoon- Minister of Planning
5. Mr.Mohammed Kahin Ahmed –Minister of Interior
6. Mr.Issa Ahmed Yusuf Abdalle –Minister of Defense
7. Mr.Yusuf Mohammed Abdi Rage –Minister of Finance Development
8. Mr.Abdigani Mohammud A’ateeye Fariid – Minister of Justice
9. Sheikh Khalil Ahmed Abdillahi Roble – Minister of Religious
10. Mr.Ahmed Mumin Seed Habane – Minister of Agriculture Development
11. Mr.Abdirashid Haji Dua’le Qambi Abdalle –Minister of Lands, Public
Works and Housing
12. Mr.Yusuf Mire Mohammed Nuuh –Minister of Youth and Sports Development
13. Mr.Abdiweli Sheikh Abdillahi Suufi Jibril- Minister of Communication
14. Mr.Mohammud Hassan Sa’ad Idle –Minister of Commerce, Industry and
15. Mrs.Hinda Jama Hirsi Mohammed – Minister of Labor and Social Affairs
16. Mr.Mohammed Ahnmed Mohammud Awad –Minister Investment Development
17. Hassan Mohammed Ali Gaafadhi –Minister of Livestock,Fishery and
Marine Resources Development
18. Mr.Abdirahman Abdillahi Farah Diriye (Guri-Barwaqo) –Minister of
19. Mrs.Shukri Haji Ismael Mohammud Bandare –Minister of Environment and
20. Mr.Suleiman Yusuf Ali Koore – Minister of Water Resources Development
21. Mr.Jama Mohommud Egal Mohammed –Minister of Energy and Mineral
22. Mr. Abdillahi Abokor Osman Yusuf –Minister of Roads
23. Mr.Mohammed Haji Adam Elmi –Minister of Constitutional Affairs
Even though the former presidents and the current had different economical
and financial constraints nevertheless they comparison cannot be hidden
from any observer. The former president had appointed better administration
than President Musa Bihi Abdi.
These all have far reaching implications on what the people expect from
Mr.Bihi’s government for instance the president is expected to unify the
nation, improve foreign affairs and economic development are three
important factors that will affect the government wellbeing.
However president Bihi selection of ministers and other top government
official seem to lack the knowhow and experience to implement any tangible
development and as a result of this they will simply let the head of state
down in fulfilling the promises made during the elections.
This will bring uncertainly to the president long term goal to sail
Somaliland out of the rough seas to prosperity because his crew lack the
experience of good sailors.
The last elections opened wounds in Somaliland unity and those injuries
seems as if they have not healed so the head of state and his government
has to move fast to find a remedy to heal the disunity.
The former president Ahmed Silanyo foreign policy was always criticized,
but today the current government is entering uncharted territories as the
future becomes more unpredictable following the fast pace of development
which Somaliland must catch up. Another important thing to note is that
Somaliland connections with the international community is passive and
President Bihi needs to go back to the drawing board and select a cabinet
of experienced technocrats who can remove Somaliland from the muck.
*The UN and IGAD Fail to Quell the Tukaraq War following Obstruction by the
The UN and IGAD have failed to reach amicable solution to the Tukaraq war
pitting Somaliland and the Somalia province of Puntland. According to
confidential reports reaching the Horn Newspaper the president of Puntland
Mr.Abdiweli Gaas told the UN special envoy to Somaliland /Somalia
Mr.Michael Keating that if he wants the peace talks to commence Somaliland
armed forces should withdraw their forces from Tukaraq hamlet.
The Indian Ocean newspaper last publication wrote that the president of
Puntland Mr.Abdiweli Gaas convinced the UN special representative that
Somaliland is at fault an attacked Puntland. The Indian Ocean Newsletter
further stated that Puntland administration have a far superior foreign
policy than Somaliland hence they are always on top of the game compared to
the Somaliland foreign minister Mr.Sa’ad Ali Shire who is playing catch up.
The UN special representative to Somaliland and Somalia recently toured the
IGAD nations members to seek their support in quelling the Tukaraq fiasco
however Mr.Abdiweli Gaas of Puntland became a dilemma.
The IGAD countries want both parties to stop the Tukaraq war
unconditionally thence exchange the prisoners of war captured during the