- General Information:
Title of Position: Technical Consultant- LDF Administration and Finance Consultant
Type of Contract & Grade : Technical consultant-B2
Beneficiary Institution: Ministry of Interior-Somaliland Republic
Duty Station/Location: Hargeisa (Ministry of Interior) Somaliland Republic
Stream/Band: UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT (Local Development Fund)
Duration of Assignment: 12 months with possibility of extension based on performance
Deadline for Applications: 03th November, 2018
Supervisor: Director General, Ministry of Interior
- Background of the assignment:
The UN Joint Program on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery and Local Investment for Transformation Projects (JPLG/LIFT), Phase III is a 5-year program implemented by ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UN-HABITAT and UNICEF. The Program is aligned with the National Development Plan II and supports the establishment and transformation of local government through capacitated institutions, legal frameworks, policies and practices that are accountable, inclusive, and gender-equal that support the effective delivery of services which contribute to improving local service delivery and responsive governance. JPLG/LIFT will focus on creating an enabling environment for improved service delivery and greater stability, through improved legal, policy and system frameworks. It will also support enhanced local government capacities and promote more inclusive local governance, with greater attention given to women, youth and minority groups. It is envisaged to achieve as wide coverage in Somaliland as resources and conditions allow with a comprehensive approach to assist local governments to be credible, professional service providers, increasing public investment in basic services, and strengthening, Local revenue mobilization, enhance civic awareness and participation in local decision-making and development. The strategy pursued will comprise:
Specific program outcomes are as follows:
Outcome 1: policy and legal frameworks for decentralization, local government, service provision and land management, and local revenue generation
Outcome 2: institutionalizing Local Development Fund, local government systems, vertical and horizontal inter-government linkages and civic education initiatives.
Outcome 3: investment in public services and goods through Local Development Fund model, (LDF) and SDM direct service provision and promotion of public-private partnerships, and land and property disputes and resolution.
Throughout the Programme, strong emphasis will be placed on gender and women in local government, human rights and local governance, and good governance principles of transparency, accountability and participation.
In this context, the Ministry of Interior (MOI) with support from the Joint Program wishes to recruit an LDF Administration and Finance Consultant to be based in the Ministry of Interior in Somaliland, and co-located with the Regional and Local Government Department, to provide support to enable efficient and accurate narrative of LDF implementation and LDF financial reporting on the activities performed by Ministry Of Interior (MOI) under the agreement with UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT. Under the direct supervision of the Director General of the Ministry, and the Director of the Regional and Districts Department, and under indirect supervision by UNCDF-LG Fiscal Policy and Finance Specialist, the incumbent will have the responsibility of supporting the Regions and District department to produce accurate LDF implementation and LDF financial reports according to the standards required by UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT, as well as support the strengthening of all administrative procedures to ensure appropriate documentation of all LDF projects processes, to enable reporting to UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT as stipulated in the agreement between MOI and UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT. The position is performance based. Quarterly performance assessment of the incumbent will be conducted by MOI with support from UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT and monthly payment is based on the delivery of the required output. The position is for an initial period of 12 months.
III. Overall Functional Responsibilities:
The Ministry of Interior, Somaliland Republic wishes to recruit a LDF Administration and Finance for a period of 12 months, who will provide support to the Ministry of Interior to Improve the LDF coordination and LDF projects payment Process and Centre-Local transfer mechanism and procedure in Capital transfer through LDF to have viable discretionary capital fiscal transfer system at the Central- local level, as well as Local Level defining LDF processes and LDF implementation in Somaliland. the Consultant will provide relevant technical and logistical support to the Ministry of Interior to accomplish the following tasks:
- Take on responsibility for LDF/LIFT administration including preparing and reviewing JPLG/LIFT financial reporting including all JPLG/LIFT partners.
- Support and oversee the preparation of financial reports of LDF/LIFT by the target district and ensure it’s in line with the set requirements.
- Support internal auditing exercises at MOI/LG, and support MOI/LG to carry out improvements in its financial and reporting systems.
- Support ongoing municipal finance strategies and process at district level and help districts meet the required financial documentation.
- Functions / Summary of Key Assignments:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the Ministry for the Implementation of LDF and other grants and provide an operational strategies to support MOI while working closely and providing day-to-day capacity support to MOI staff.
- Provide an Accounting and Administrative support for MOI in cooperation with UNCDF-LG Fiscal Policy and Finance specialist and UNCDF-LG-Finance analyst Hargeisa.
- In close consultation with UNCDF-LG Fiscal Policy and Finance specialist and UNCDF-LG-Finance analyst and in close coordination with the MOI regional and Districts Department, provide technical assistance to ensure preparation of LDF financial reports for MOI focusing on achievement of results and disbursements against the work plans and budgets, and within the context of relevant agreements that MOI is signatory to.
- Provide MOI regional and Districts department staff for Knowledge building, skill transfer and knowledge sharing
Detailed description of functions:
- Ensures LDF and other grants implementation and advice operational strategies for MOI in regional and Districts department while working closely with and providing day to day capacity support to MOI staff.
- Full compliance of LDF financial processes and financial records with MOI and other relevant regulations, such as UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT rules, regulations, policies and strategies when implementation of UNCDF agreements.
- Annotate and develop where appropriate, LDF payment processes in the Ministry of Interior including Planning, budgeting, auditing, and internal control framework.
- Provide on Job training and mentor coaching in all finance staff in the above LDF payment processes
- Ensures Accounting and Administrative support for MOI in cooperation with the UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Follow up the LDF online tracking system for proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports; approval of payment request; preparation of approval request.
- Coach the finance department on meeting administration, following the administration guidelines from the training manual.
- Set up an adequate and retrievable filing system for all LDF documents of relevance to external development partners including soft and hard copies.
- Attends meetings together with the Regional and Districts Department and the JPLG/LIFT team and support the minute taking, recording, distribution and filing of agreements.
- Ensure consistency in the application of UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT rules and procedures and coordinates and cooperates at all times with the UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT.
- Provide support to the logistics for missions, workshops and meetings.
- Provide support, backstopping, and quality control to districts in financial reporting and identify areas for improvement in the management and use of the LDF administration support budget for LDF Projects implementation.
- In close consultation with the UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT and in close coordination with the Regional and Districts Department, provide technical assistance to ensure preparation of LDF reports for MOI focusing on achievement of results and disbursements against the work plans and budgets.
- Together with the Head of Finance, identify member of the finance department to work with to ensure proper development of supporting documents for UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT LDF payments; preparation of all types of vouchers for development and management projects and on-behalf of client agencies; Purchase Order vouchers for development and management projects; and payment execution.
- Provide support to MOI ensure maintenance of the internal expenditures control system of the LOA’s which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed.
- Provide support to ensure timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Provide support to ensure presentation and analysis of information on the status of financial resources as required.
- Provide support to ensure proper monitoring of the budget/work program against expenditure, liaise and cooperate with the JPLG /JPLG/LIFT team based Hargeisa to ensure timely and appropriate financial reporting.
- Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide on job training for the operations/ projects staff on regional and Districts Department staff.
- Provide and Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice on behalf of MOI
IIV. Monitoring and Progress Controls
- The key results achieved by the national expert will have an impact on the LDF implementation and execution of the LOA between MOI and UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT. In Accurate data entry and presentation of financial information and a client-oriented approach enhances MOI’s capability to effectively and efficiently manage financial resources.
- The LDF Administration and Finance will work under the overall supervision of the Director General Ministry of Interior and with technical support from the JPLG.
- The National Expert on Intergovernmental Fiscal transfer will submit monthly and quarterly reports on the implementation of this assignment to the Director General Ministry of Interior who are in turn will share the reports with the UNCDF/JPLG/LIFT.
- A report on stakeholders consultations on Intergovernmental Fiscal decentralization policy
- Assist the Ministry for the Intergovernmental Fiscal decentralization policy in Somaliland.
- Assist the Ministry for the Development of the law on Fiscal decentralization.
- A proposed programme to conduct Intergovernmental Fiscal decentralization sensitization and training in Somaliland
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ability to plan, prioritise and deliver tasks on time; ability to participate effectively in a team-based information sharing environment; acceptance of additional responsibilities and capacity to work under pressure; high client service orientation; high initiative to solve problem; excellent analytical skills; excellent communication skills.
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Regular monthly payment depends on the following deliverables:
- Monthly financial reporting of standards that is approved by MOI and by UNCDF
- Regular follow up of all administrative and financial functions that help enable MOI to implement its work plan
- Regular follow up of all tasks as required in the TOR above
VII. Recruitment Qualification:
- Bachelor Degree in Finance with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance or public administration with 6 Years in practical relevant experience or Master degree with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance or public administration with 2 Years in practical relevant experience .
- Proven experience in financial management and accounting.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Experience with administration and human resource management required
- Self-driven and motivated, ability to work under a minimum of guidance
- Pays attention to detail and ensures transparency and accountability in administrative and financial management
- Working knowledge of the English language and writing skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to send their applications (CV, Motivational letter and scan copy of credentials with three work related referees) to Director General MOI EMAIL Address: email@example.com . And copy to UNCDF-LG-Fiscal Policy and Finance Specialist email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline of the application is: 03th – November – 2018.
Note: “When applying this vacancy, please indicate clearly (MOI – LDF Administration and Finance Consultant – Hargeisa) in the subject of the email.