Ref #: DRC2020/276
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
To ensure the safety of the overall living and working environment for the staff of DRC/DDG so that they can do their work well and without trouble.
- Control access to the compound and to ensure proper search and control of vehicles and visitors and record details
- Record any observations made in the counter surveillance logbook at the end of each shift
- Responsible for cleanliness of the guard houses
- Ensure torches are in working conditions and fully charged at all times
- Guard are to know where fire extinguishers are located and how to use them
- Maintain the office keys and close the doors after close of business
- The night shift Guard should have to patrol at least four times a night to the compound and write\log details in the patrolling log book
- Check all visitors & their bags\luggage and vehicles prior to entrance into the office
- Ask acceptance from office staff prior to allowing any visitor to enter into the office.
- Ensure gate to be closed at all times
- Guards are to be careful from questioning of personnel or unusual level of interest about the number of staffs, the number of security staff, timings of the office and the departure & arrival of staffs
- Any other administrative duties as requested by the direct supervisor.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- Minimum of basic literacy skill (reading and writing)
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar position
- Ability to communicate in both English and Somali
- Good behavior/manner towards visitors
- Enthusiastic, trustworthy and hardworking
- Good knowledge of safety and security equipment
- Willing to grow within the organization.
- Literacy of reading & writing
- Completion of intermediate school is preferable
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st August 2020
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Team leader- Safety
Duration: Casual Basis, One month and less than
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post and you should submit the hard copy to DRC Hargeisa Office, Ibrahim Koodbur, Maansoor Area at 063 4464014 with the subject heading “Guard” not later than 5th July 2020 @4:30PM EAT
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.