Ref #: DRC2020/275
DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
Cook meal for DRC staff, Expat and guests.
- Clean dining areas twice a day (morning and afternoon) ensure cleanliness and neatness
- Prepare food to staff and guests in office/guesthouse according to the approved menu – adjusts food to accommodate guests with allergies or specific diet concerns
- Portion, arrange and garnish food
- Cleans dishes and utensils after each meal including wash of kitchen towels
- Keep the kitchen clean at all times including cleaning the inside of the fridge one per week
- Make tea/coffee for official meetings/occasions
- Weekly planning of procurement of food and cooking items – including regular shopping. Keeps record and accounts of food purchases.
- Adjusts food items to accommodate guests with allergies or specific diet concerns
- Maintain kitchen appliance such as a blender, oven, grill, or stand mixer
- Clear and dispose the rubbish from the kitchen – ensure that all rubbish/trash is hygienically disposed of, particularly from the kitchen & toilet/washroom areas
- Sweep and wash kitchen floors on daily basis
- Clean kitchen sink and counter thorough on daily basis
- Clean windows, kitchen shelves and cabinets on weekly basis
- Spray insecticide inside the kitchen on every Thursday – evening after kitchen services are closed.
- Clean ceiling cobwebs & light fixtures on monthly basis
- Prepare replenishment request
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- At least 2 years’ experience in similar position.
- Ability to communicate in both English and Somali
- Ability to read and understand cleaning product directions
- Enthusiastic, good interpersonal skills and trustworthy
- Basic literacy skill (reading and writing)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st August 2020
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: Team leader- HR & Admin
Duration: Casual Basis, One month and less than
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested & qualified candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their updated CV and a 1-page Cover letter clearly stating their motivation and why they are suited for the post and you
should submit the hard copy to DRC Hargeisa DRC Office, Ibrahim Koodbur, Maansoor Area at 063 4464014 with the subject heading “Cook” not later than 5th July 2020 @4:30PM EAT
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test & oral interview.