SOMALILAND YOUTH SOCIETY
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE PROJECT OFFICER
Job Title: Project officer
Duty Station: Burao, Togdheer Region
Duration: One year with 3 months of Proportion period
Reports to: Executive Director
SYS-Burao is a local, youth-led, non-governmental, non-profit making, developmental organization dedicated to the improvement of the quality of life of the Somaliland youth communities through the provision of appropriate livelihoods, education, reproductive health awareness creation, sports /recreational activities , networking, employment creation through viable income generating activities and humanitarian interventions during emergencies are carried out as need arises. The genesis of SYS-Burao dates back to 2001 and even since the organization has been working in above sectors and its interventions reaching the under-served youth and women population. SYS has a presence in eastern regions of Somaliland with on-going projects aimed at improving the livelihoods of target communities.
SYS-Burao is looking for a project officer for an Enhancing Livelihoods and access to decent work for urban Youth by focusing on agricultural product marketing to create employment opportunities for the youth in Burao and Sheikh Districts of Togdheer and Sahil regions. This project Funded by international Solidarity foundation (ISF)
Under the guidance and supervision of SYS Executive Director the project officer will be responsible for the implementation of the project activities, preparation of the concept notes and planning, designing the project proposal during the planning phases.
• To undertake all project activities through annual plan, quarterly and by referring the project proposal. Assess established agro-business enterprises and to contribute new innovative ideas.
• Lead and organize planning phase meetings and assessment for the project proposal preparation during proposal development.
• Mobilize program stakeholders at field level to actively participate the planning phase activities
• Responsible for drafting and updating the project proposal according the planning phase, success stories for the beneficiaries, meet directly with project beneficiaries,
• Prepare a detailed monthly action plan in every month and share it with the Program coordinator for final review and approval with executive director.
• Identify clearly the specific problems to be faced by the action and the perceived needs and constraints of the target groups and particular how the action will provide the desired solutions.
• The PO will submit weekly reports/ monthly update /quarterly and annual reports to the Programs coordinator, maintain project visibility as required by the donor at all times.
• Will travel to rural project target villages when needed and seen necessary.
• Foster participatory planning and monitoring by training and involving primary stakeholder groups in target community groups.
• Maintain utmost good relation between the local authority/community and SYS in an effort to promote a good working atmosphere/environment
• Contributing to periodic official reports according to project requirement/deadlines and donor related requests.
• Closely work with project team
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• A bachelor’s degree in agro-economics or bachelor’s degree in Agricultural/Environmental studies and any other field relevant to the position such Business or economic.
• Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and Power Point)
• Good command of written and spoken English
• Knowledge and experience of project cycle management and community engagement.
• Extensive knowledge of proposal-writing and budgeting with financial and accounting
• Minimum of 3-4 years of work experience in project management and small business management, agro-cultural product marketing, urban youth livelihoods and decent work.
• Good knowledge of youth empowerment and development programs, entrepreneurship and innovative approaches with youth employment strategy.
• Should have experiences and knowledge of marketing skills and value chain, special agricultural products,
• Ability to work under pressure, meet short deadlines and proactively seek solutions to challenges encountered in work
• Present and Demonstrate capacity to work in team work
• Demonstrated ability to produce and analyse accurate, detailed reports in English
• Proven communication, interpersonal and facilitation skills
How to apply
interested qualified candidates are invited to submit their CVs, certificates and recommendation letters from re-knowable previous employers and cover letter with 3 references, a cover letter not later than 15th July 2017 via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or hand delivery to the flowing address:
SYS Head office –Mohamed Ali Village Ex-orphanage –SYS Youth Centre compound –Burao, Somaliland.
The subject of the email must be include: Project Officer (Burao, Togdheer)
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
SYS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is encouraging any potential candidate who is able to meet the above mentioned criteria of selection.